Distant, milky, shadowy - Chalcedony is an enigmatic gemstone with more than a hint of its magic. Though no legends are directly attributed to this translucent stone, chalcedony is wrapped in rich history, folklore and believed to have tremendous potent powers. It was a treasured gemstone of the ancient world.
There are lots of superstitions surrounding chalcedony. Are you interested in diving into the mysterious and magical world of chalcedony? Keep on reading to uncover the magic and mysteries behind the Chalcedony stone.
Chalcedony belongs to the Quartz family that is known to be compact and comes in various colors and forms, each with its own distinguishing characteristics. This gemstone is created naturally through the growth of the two silica minerals: quartz and moganite. When these two minerals grow and interlace, enigmatic chalcedony is formed.
The term chalcedony is based on the name of the prehistoric Byzantine port of Chalcedon called Kadikoy in Turkey.
Chalcedony can be sourced out in Turkey, Brazil, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Madagascar, India, Namibia, Russia, Uruguay, and United States.
Chalcedony is a fine-grained variety of silica mineral quartz that has a waxy luster appearance. It appears in various colors, typically blue-white, gray, yellow, tan, or brown.
Its History and Folklores
Chalcedony has been significant to many civilizations throughout history. There are historical artifacts made from chalcedony that is found dated back to the Neolithic period.
- During the Bronze Age, Chalcedony was popular in the Mediterranean region for seals due to its composition preventing hot wax from sticking to its surface.
- The Babylonian and Assyrians used this precious gemstone to make seals they used to protect their documents around 4000 B.C. They believed that the stone has protective powers meant to protect the carriers and messengers who delivered the papers.
- The Knossos Palace in Greece contained specimens of Chalcedony seals. Ancient Greeks used chalcedony for practical reasons, which is it has a cleaner impression on the wax than other stones.
- Carved chalcedony rings created as part of intaglio designs have been found right along the trade routes of Central Asia. In Afghanistan, around the 1st century A.D., the gemstone was used to create traditional seals and knives.
- In Celtic mythology, they associated these stones with Clota, the river goddess, and in Greek mythology, they linked it with Gaia, popularly known as Mother Earth.
- Chalcedony stone has been cited in the Bible as the third foundation of the wall of Jerusalem. It is mentioned in the Torah that it is one of the ornamental stones embellished in the Breastplate of Judgement.
- The Prophet Muhammad recommended to the Muslims he as crossed to wear agate (a variety of chalcedony) to attract wealth.
- For Ancient Romans, they sought the stone for its ability to encourage clear speaking and the Art of Rhetoric.
- Ancient civilizations in Egypt and Rome believed that this stone emitted powers when they held it in their hands. It was popularly referred to as the "speaker's stone. Cicero, a famous Roman orator, once wore chalcedony around his neck.
- As for the Amerindian tribes, the Chalcedony stone is a sacred stone symbol of inner peace. They often used the stone to appease the Spirits and to promote stability during their ceremonies. Today, they still use it during meditations to connect to the spirit realm that helps receive thought transmissions from a higher power.
- During the Renaissance period, many sorcerers and alchemists prescribed chalcedony to dissolve unwanted illusions and fantasies. It was often engraved in successful law disputes.
- Many Europeans in the 18th century thought that Chalcedony stone possesses magical power to drive away evil spirits.
Varieties of Chalcedony
- Blue Chalcedony is a stone for the throat as it can help strengthen your vocal apparatus and prevent or alleviate any vocal strain. This stone elicits the soothing energy of a peaceful lake.
- Pink Chalcedony is used for nursing mothers to increase milk supply and protect the baby from harm. It is popularly called the "Goddess Stone" that relieves shock and trauma. It is also often used by first-time mothers during childbirth.
- Purple Chalcedony - this variety of Chalcedony help balance the effects of narcolepsy and offers a sense of emotional protection from negativity. At the same time, it provides both psychic awakening and psychic protection.
- Red chalcedony - this variety stimulated blood circulation and supports blood clotting. It is known as a stone for confidence as it helps one when you are unsure of carrying on to fight or give in.
- Agate - this is known as the banded variety of chalcedony, which is typically white or grey in color. It is geared towards rebalancing and stabilizing auras.
- Bloodstone - this is naturally dark green in color. It is renowned as a healing stone, and a cleanser used to repel negative energy and stimulates dreams.
- Carnelian - this appears to be a red translucent type of chalcedony known to encourage courage and chase away feelings of apathy. It seems to have a reddish-orange tone on it.
- Jasper is known as the opaque variety of chalcedony, naturally yellow or brown in color. It is widely known as the nurturing stone as it supports people during times of stress. It also promotes honesty.
- Tiger's Eye - this is distinguished for its cat's eye effect and its golden-brown tint. This variety of chalcedony is said to bring good luck and focus to oneself. It is also geared to release stress and frustrations.
- Chrysoprase - this has a translucent green color which is caused by Nickel. It is known as a stone of spring representing a change of heart of others or new opportunities. A medieval mystic named Hildegard von Bingen recommended this variety of chalcedony for reversing anger into forgiveness.
- Onyx - this has straight bands of color, which can be brown and white, black and white, or solid black. In the Middle East, they have been using this variety for centuries as a worry stone believed to absorbs negative energy and relieve stress.
- Sardonyx is a variety that contains bands of black, white, and red commonly known to signify humility, virtue, and courage. It is believed that having a sardonyx talisman helps a couple to be married within a year. It can also be used to fix marital or family rifts.
Symbolism and Powers of Chalcedony
- Chalcedony is reputable for bringing emotional balance, easing any negative thoughts you may have, and driving away nightmares. It rids your mind of panic and anxiety and helps your emotions become aligned with your body for perfect harmony.
- Chalcedony stone is resonant with the mind and the power that it holds. It emits calming energy that empowers the mind to align with your positive thoughts.
- It is called Stone of Acceptance. It is accustomed to its nurturing abilities of calmness and composure, which symbolize brotherhood and goodwill.
- It is called Creative Stone as it is known to open the mind to new ideas, enhancing receptivity and responsiveness.
- It is considered the Speaker's Stone, imparting mental flexibility, verbal dexterity, and improving memory. It also enhances listening skills and communication and stimulates the mind to learn a new language quickly.
- This stone imbues feelings of generosity and drives away any kind of hostilities in your body and mind. It also wavers feelings of self-doubt and self-pity.
Healing Properties of Chalcedony
This spectacular gemstone is believed to aid the wearer in treating various health problems related to neck, vocal cords, and tonsils, such as chronic hoarseness and inflammation of the throat.
It is said to protect someone against inflammation, infections, and fevers.
Chalcedony stones are worn while sleeping minimizes the chances of nightmares and sleepwalking. It also protects one from fear of darkness.
The Blue Chalcedony is believed to reduce edema while encouraging fluid flow in the body.
It is known as a Zodiac birthstone for Cancers and Sagittarians. It is also recognized as an alternative birthstone for May.
Fun Facts about Chalcedony
- Namibia has been the source of the most alluring Chalcedony gemstone.
- Milk stone is an alternative name for chalcedony as it was believed to be helpful for nursing mothers in the production of breastmilk.
- The purity of the Lotus flower in Tibet is symbolic of a Chalcedony stone.
Uses for Chalcedony
- In ancient times, chalcedony was used as an amulet or talisman to keep people from drowning. It was also used as a seal for religious figures that were carved into pendants.
- It is also made into an elixir by combining water and salt in boiling water to treat sore throats and other problems related to the vocal cords.
- It has been used for mental energies as it is associated with the Third Eye Chakra.
- It has been used for meditation and inner peace as it alleviates any aggressive energies.
- Chalcedony gemstone is rated 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs hardness scale, make it reasonably durable for jewelry. Chalcedony truly is a darling of today's gem carvers and jewelry designers. Many jewelry designers love its glowing translucent tones and its availability in a wide range of colors and shapes.
Keep your wardrobe exciting and fresh, and Chalcedony sterling silver jewelry can help you accomplish that. It is the perfect accessory with any outfit and keep your own personal flair shining through.
You will love to pick a piece that has a little more personality for the days when you'd like a little more time in the spotlight. Choose a Chalcedony sterling silver jewelry below that makes you smile, and watch as the compliments roll in!
Chalcedony Sterling Silver Necklace
Birds on Branch Nest Necklace
Birds on Branch Nest Necklace shows an 18k gold plated bird resting on a sterling silver branch. The bird has been looking at its chalcedony nest. It is a fantastic illustration of nature's beauty that humans love to see.
This necklace has been handcrafted by our creative artisans to embodies one of nature's beautiful experiences. Seeing a bird resting on a branch near its nest gives us a soothing feeling that we ought to feel whenever we are within the realms of Mother Nature. Hence, wearing our Birds on the Branch Nest Necklace stands for your nature-lover personality. Placing that magical moment in your heart might help you feel relaxed as though you are one with nature once again.
Chalcedony Sterling Silver Pendant
Blooming Lotus Chalcedony Pendant
Our Blooming Lotus Chalcedony Pendant is mesmerizingly beautiful. It pictures how an intricate design lotus flower is placed in the middle of chalcedony ring stone. The fascinating Blooming Lotus Chalcedony Pendant will bring harmony and peace of mind to every lady wearing it. Aside from the classic and elegant vibe, it may add to every lady wearing it.
A piece of handcrafted sterling silver jewelry destined to be part of the jewel of every peaceful lady out there.
Chalcedony Sterling Silver Earing
Birds on Branch Nest Earring
Our Birds on Branch Nest Earring is a 2-in-1 earring. The jewelry is customizable in two features: One has only the bird as one of the designs, removing the stone; Second, has the earring with a bird pooching on white chalcedony stone. A piece of must-have jewelry perfect for everyday wear or special occasion. It fits all age groups from newborn to adult.
Our Birds on a Branch Nest Earring depicts a bird hanging on a sterling silver branch pooching its Chalcedony nest. The
white chalcedony on these nature-inspired sterling silver jewelry increases the love luck of its owner. It is also a stone that will boost your self-confidence.
Chalcedony Sterling Silver Ring
Open Vintage Ring
Open Vintage Ring will keep you noticed. It is because its design is out of the ordinary and will entice someone to look closer to fully appreciate the beauty of your sterling silver jewelry. The green Chalcedony stone is perfectly combined with sterling silver to give your ring a pop of luscious color and classic beauty.
A must-have piece of jewelry that perfectly suits all types of fashion wear.
The Bottom Line
Chalcedony is a precious, powerful stone with exceptional qualities. If you are looking for a stone that can dispel any negative energy and promote communication in your personal, social, and work relationships, try chalcedony. Discover what this stone can do for you when you have it to wear every day of your life!