If you are born in August, you are lucky to have the three stunning birthstones to choose from: alluring Peridot, appealing Sardonyx, and glowing Spinel.
The original August birthstone was Sardonyx. Peridot was added as time went on, which is considered the more familiar August birthstone. Only in 2016 was Spinel categorized as a birthstone for August. This offers impressive and exciting choices whether you are shopping for a birthday gift for someone special or a piece for yourself.
Keep on reading to discover the remarkable history and meaningful symbolism of each of these stunning August birthstones. Choose the perfect August birthstone jewelry piece that has a significant meaning for you or for someone special to you.
This is the most ancient August birthstone, combining two types of chalcedony: the sard and onyx. Sardonyx appears in bands of brownish red to brown to dark orange sard alternate with typically white or black layers of onyx.
The sardonyx name is based on its appearance—the red bands formed from sard while onyx makes up the contrasting colors. So mixing stripes of sard and onyx creates Sardonyx.
This August, birthstone’s major producer in the world is India, which produces Sardonyx’s stone with good contrast between the different colored layers. Other source locations of Sardonyx are Brazil, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Madagascar, Uruguay, and the United States.
History and Meaning
Sardonyx was a famous stone in ancient times for seals and signet rings as hot wax would not stick. It was the eldest of the August birthstones because its popularity dates can be traced back to the 2nd Dynasty of Egypt, which is more than 4,000 years ago. Egyptians believed it to possess the healing powers to heal bones. For millennia, it has been a popular carving material for cameos and intaglios because of distinguishing bands of color.
This August birthstone has been mentioned in the Old Testament as one of the stones present in the High Priest’s breastplate that signifies the strength of spiritual life.
Roman soldiers wore sardonyx rings engraved with an image of Mars about their belief in protection in battle.
During the Renaissance period, this August birthstone was worn by public speakers and orators for its power of eloquence. It was also said to aid single ladies to attract their dream spouses, and for some, it aids couples to live a happily married life.
The newest August birthstone! Prepare to be delighted as this August birthstone appears to be sparkly in various colors such as intense red, vivid pink, orange, purple, violet, blue and bluish green. This August birthstone is a traditional wedding anniversary gift for 22 years of marriage.
Spinel is derived from the Latin word "spina," translated in English as "thorn" based on its structural shape.
Spinel is sourced from these locations: Tajikistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Tanzania, and Pakistan. Myanmar is known for producing Spinel arresting colors like hot pink and red Spinel. On the other hand, Sri Lanka is known for producing blue, pink, and purple Spinel across the southern half of the country, specifically the rolling hills of the Central Highlands and river gravels in Ratnapura District.
In northern Vietnam, the Luc Yen region produces this August birthstone in deep red, purple, pink, vivid blue, violet, and violet-blue.
In 2007, pinkish and orangy-red Spinel was discovered in Tanzania.
This August birthstone was mistaken for other gemstones, such as some of the most famous rubies in history turned out to be Spinel. The Black Prince's ruby owned by Moorish and Spanish kings before Edward, Prince of Wales received the stone as payment for winning a battle on behalf of Peter of Castile was, in fact, Spinel stone. By the 18th century, the Spinel stone is clearly recognized as ruby based on its chemical distinction. Today, this historic red August birthstone is set in Great Britain's Imperial State Crown, just above the Cullinan II diamond.
Other spinels in royal collections are the Samarian Spinel, the largest fine red Spinel in the world; part of the Iranian Crown Jewels and Russian Imperial Crown.
Spinel's interesting distinction from other gems is its magnetic properties. The Lodestone is a variety of Spinel that is highly magnetic and used in magnetizing compass needles for navigation.
It is said that Cleopatra slept on a lodestone to keep her skin as youthful-looking as possible.
Varieties of Spinel and its Benefits
Spinel’s different colors constitute different properties and benefits such as:
- Vivid red Spinel encourages harmony and symbolizes vitality.
- Red Spinel is known as a remedy for blood loss and inflammatory diseases.
- Green and Pink Spinel signify love and compassion.
- Violet Spinel is known for spiritual development.
- Yellow Spinel helps the intellect.
Ancient, cosmic, light green is what many described this August birthstone. Peridot is considered both a day and night stone that keeps its brilliant green color even under artificial lighting.
Peridot’s name came from the Arabic word "faridat" translated as "gems." But some believe that its name originated from the Greek word “peridona” meaning “giving plenty.”
All peridots can be found in two ways: either formed deep underground at high temperatures or flaming meteorites called pallasite. Peridots that came from outer space are extremely rare and valuable.
Most of the Peridot comes from Hawaii, China, Myanmar, Pakistan, Tanzania, Africa, Vietnam, Kenya, Brazil, Norway, and United States. San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation located in Arizona is considered to have the most productive and abundant deposit of this August birthstone which is approximately 80% of the Peridot’s supply in the world is sourced here. In Kashmir, Pakistan, the mine was discovered in 1994, sourced for the most beautiful Peridots ever found.
History and Meaning
This August birthstone was recognized as a prized possession in many ancient and medieval cultures. Peridot has an intriguing history as bold as its color.
- Pliny the Elder mentioned the existence of Peridot on a small island off the coast of Egypt. He originally named the stone “topazes” and described it as color green with yellowish tones. This island was closely guarded by Ancient Egyptians because of the priceless treasures found on it.
- Another early source of this August birthstone was the island of Oahu in Hawaii. The sand on the Papakolea Beach appears to be a beautiful green hue because of the high content of crushed olivine.
- Ancient Egyptians described this August birthstone as the “Gem of the Sun.” That is why the pharaohs' tombs were guarded against the evil eye by peridot gemstones and artifacts. They believed that wearing this stone will bring the wearer confidence, power, good health, and good luck. In fact, some of Cleopatra's famous emeralds were actually peridots. It is a prized possession for pharaohs, and up to this day, it is the national gem of Egypt.
- As early as the 2nd century BCE, Peridot has been used in priests' jewelry and later in the chalices and churches of medieval Europe. The Romans used to call this August birthstone “Evening Emerald” because they discovered that its green color did not darken at night and remain visible under the pottery oil lamps. Ancient Romans wore peridots on their right arms in battle. Ancient Romans, Egyptians, and Europeans have traded peridots for their beauty and mystical powers. It is believed to be a strong talisman against nightmares and frightening visions.
- This August birthstone can also be traced back to the Hawaiian culture, which they believed to be the tears of Pele, Goddess of Volcano. Other Hawaiians consider it a symbol of the volcano goddess of fire, Pele, responsible for controlling the flow of lava.
- A meteorite that landed and was found in Siberia in 1700 contains peridot crystals used for jewelry making.
- The Shrine of the Three Holy Kings, found in Cologne Cathedral in Germany, was decorated with 200 carats of peridots which they thought of before as emeralds.
This August birthstone is a rare gemstone that only occurs naturally in one color. It is a form of olivine composed of magnesium and iron. It is unique in its specificity because it will only come in subtle shades of green.
Symbolism and Metaphysical Properties
Throughout history, a lot has been written about the power of this mystical gemstone.
- “Stone of Compassion” –is believed to bring good health, restful sleep, and peace to the relationship. Its distinguishing light green color is said to bring renewal and love, calm anger, and represent nature and youthfulness. In fact, this August birthstone has been used for medicinal purposes in powdered form as a cure for asthma and dehydration.
- “Study Stone” –is believed to increase mental focus and give you strength to persevere during your academic pursuits.
- Peridot has been used as an anti-depressant to clear out negative emotions and open up to love.
- The largest Peridot weighs 319 carats which can be found in the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
- King Edward VII mentioned that Peridot is his favorite gemstone.
- The Duchess of Cambridge, Princess Kate, wears a pair of Peridot, blue topaz, and diamond earrings.
Peridot Birthstone Jewelry
Peridot color variety that ranges from yellowish lime green to deep, earthly olive hues makes it an attractive and sought-after jewelry choice. This gemstone is a superb option for those who love green gems but are looking for an affordable price point than emeralds. Peridots set against lustrous sterling silver have a sparkling edge that brings out their refreshing and natural shimmer.
If you are looking for a piece of exceptional and handmade jewelry for someone born in August, consider the following nature-inspired sterling silver jewelry pieces you can choose from.
Blooming Anemone Flower Pendant
This Blooming Anemone Flower Pendant is a piece of jewelry inspired by nature made of sterling silver, 18k gold plated and peridot gemstone located in the middle of the anemone flower. Without flowers, our lives will be dull and boring because the flowers bring us color and beauty. That is why this nature-inspired sterling silver jewelry is a perfect fit to keep your look as refreshing and vibrant looking as possible. This handmade sterling silver jewelry pendant is an ideal birthstone jewelry gift for an August-born floral lady out there.
Pair it with Blooming Anemone Flower Stud Earring, Blooming Anemone Flower Ring, or Blooming Anemone Flower Earring. Each one of these nature-inspired jewelry pieces is handcrafted by our talented and creative artisans for you, made of sterling silver and natural Peridot. An exceptional Peridot sterling silver jewelry set that will look ravishing on your formal wear and makes you look more refreshing and vibrant looking as ever!
Lotus Leaf’s Morning Dew Earring
This elegant Lotus Leaf’s Morning Dew Earring comes in gold or silver for the main leaf and is decorated with natural peridot. A fascinating nature-inspired sterling silver jewelry perfectly depicts the dewdrops sparkles on wild lotuses like diamonds in the morning light by dawn. Every August-born lady would love to have this exceptional handmade sterling silver jewelry as it is a perfect fit to wear for all occasions!
Serpentine Bee Earring
This fabulous Serpentine Bee Earring is a nature-inspired sterling silver jewelry that depicts a bee kissing a hanging Peridot stone on a silver stud earring. A piece of beautiful and magnificent handmade jewelry that serves as an accessory and a charm to attract more positive energy and block all negative energy for all the ladies wearing it. A piece of fascinating Peridot birthstone jewelry to add to your fashion wardrobe. Thanks to its lustrous sterling silver, you can wear these simple Peridot earrings every day- a perfect fit for your casual wear.
As you are shopping for a gift for August-born babies, remember that Peridot makes the perfect gift that will make most people swoon green with envy! Classic designs control the Peridot jewelry as most people tend to enjoy the stone's beauty as it is.
Because green is so present in nature and a distinguishing color of Peridot, our nature-inspired jewelry store, Lotus Fun, has a fascinating Peridot sterling silver jewelry collection. Each handmade sterling silver jewelry piece is a definite whimsical, and enchanting jewelry piece meant for you or for someone special!
See for yourself and pick the ideal gift for August babies! Happy shopping!