Lapis Lazuli is a mixture of three minerals, namely: Lazurite, calcite, and Pyrite. Lazurite is the specific ingredient in Lapis Lazuli that is responsible for its blue color. Lazurite is composed of sodium, calcium, aluminosilicate, and sulfur. Due to the charge transfer between sulfur atoms, it gives out the color blue.
It is a metamorphic rock. The contact metamorphism of limestones usually forms it.
Lapis Lazuli's name is derived from the Latin word “lapis,” which means “stones and from the Arabic and Persian word “lazaward,” which means blue. So Lapis Lazuli is commonly known as bluestone. Its celestial blue appearance symbolizes royalty and honor, gods and power, spirit, and vision. It serves as a universal symbol of wisdom and truth.
The Lapis Lazuli stone is discovered 6,000 years ago in Afghanistan, specifically in the West Hindu-Kush Mountains. Afghanistan, since then, is the known producer and significant source of the most exceptional quality of Lapis Lazuli. It is also present in Angola, Argentina, Canada, Chile, India, Italy, Myanmar, Pakistan, and in the states of California and Colorado in the US.
As narrated in history, Lapis Lazuli has been adored and loved because of its color. The ultramarine dye can be made out of it. Based in the Old Testament as sapphire, Lapis Lazuli is most likely the fifth stone in the original breastplate of the High Priest.
In Egypt, the garments of priests and royalty were dyed with Lapis to indicate their status as gods. It is the most prized gift for pharaohs. In Egypt. King Tutankhamen’s golden sarcophagus which was richly filled with Lapis. The funeral mask of King Tutankhamen was also discovered that it was decorated with lapis lazuli. In powdered form, it was used as blue eyeshadow by Cleopatra.
In Persia and America, Lapis Lazuli is a symbol of the starry night, and it became a favorite stone for Islamic Orient for protection from the evil eye. Greeks and Romans have used Lapis Lazuli as an ornamental stone.
In Europe, the resemblance of its color to heaven was believed to drive out the dark spirits and to encourage or attract the spirit of light and wisdom.
Buddhists recommended Lapis Lazuli to bring inner peace and freedom from negative thoughts.
During the Renaissance period, Michaelangelo used lapis lazuli as a ground and processed ultramarine color powder in his paintings. Catherine the Great also adorned her entire room with Lapiz Lazuli walls, fireplaces, doors, and mirror frames.
- The Lapis Lazuli is used as a cure for intermittent fever, apoplexies, epilepsies, dementia.
- It was traditionally worn around the neck as an amulet to drive away fears from children, strengthened sights, and prevents someone from fainting.
- Egyptian named Lapis Lazuli as chesbet, as written in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, It is used in many amulets and put in different places on the body. It is an amulet of high power and will be used as an offering to the supreme god Ra.
- In Uknu, one of the Assyrian texts, it was named one of the seven gemstones. It is placed in an ornament to be worn on the breast of the king as an amulet. It constitutes excellent power from the gods.
- Babylonian’s epic, called Gilgamesh, tells about the trees which grow precious stone, and Lapis Lazuli grows from its crown.
- In the mythology of Sumeria, their goddess Inanna went to the underworld carrying a Lapis Lazuli rods that measured the time and length of a person’s life. They believed that crystals were flesh of the gods, and the gods were crystal beings.
- King Solomon was given a special Lapis by one of the angels that allowed him to control demons. He also used the stone to build his temple.
- Ancient Egyptians used Lapis as a pulverized stone to purge out the soul of demonic possession. Lapis blue was considered a mental healer and soul purifier. They mixed Lapis with gold as a poultice and place it on the head, and it would drove away demons as it dried out.
The Spiritual Beliefs and Uses
Lapiz Lazuli is believed to be a powerful crystal that boosts and enhances intellectual ability. It is connected to one’s mental awareness and intuition. It is the perfect stone for executives, journalist, and psychologist who stimulates wisdom and sound judgment in the working world. It is a stone that gives boosts intellectual analysis for archaeologists, enhances problem-solving skills for lawyers, and encourages new ideas for inventors and writers.
The Lapis Lazuli stones are said to be excellent for enhancing memory and stimulates the desire for knowledge, truth, and understanding. It is a crystal of truth. It promotes inner honesty and self-awareness and the acceptance of that knowledge. It allows self-expression without restraints or compromised and gives relief for things that have been suppressed for a long time and help eliminate repressed anger.
The Lapis Lazuli crystal stone is connected to solar energy. With its golden inclusions of Pyrite, it helps balance the third eye chakra and solar plexus chakra. When solar plexus chakra and third eye chakra are in harmony, it in line your desires with divine will. Incorporating this stone in your daily life will give you confidence and shine your authenticity to the world.
Are you about to make a significant shift in your life, like changing careers or moving to the next job? Then, the Lapis Lazuli crystal is the one for you. It is a reminder for you to live your life for yourself and that you are ready to be your leader in life because you know what is best for you.
Lapiz Lazuli is a stone of truth that encourages honesty of the spirit both in spoken and written words. You have to wear it all the time for all kinds of in-depth communication.
In the workplace, wearing Lapis Lazuli attracts promotion, success, and lasting recognition in your field. As a performer or entertainer, you should wear a Lapiz Lazuli to auditions.
As a protection stone, Lapis Lazuli recognizes a psychic attack and blocks it, returning the energy to its source.
The Physical healing energy
- It relieves eye infections like septic sty by rubbing a piece of Lapis heated in warm water.
- It reduces bruising and good for insect bites and other skin problems when you heat a Lapis in sunlight.
- It relieves general pain and inflammations like menstrual irregularities and migraines.
- It aids the nervous system and brain disorder. Some studies show that Lapis brings calms and loving communication for a home with temperamental teenagers or children with autism or ADHD.
Birthstones and Anniversary Stones
Lapis Lazuli is not your traditional birthstone, but it is one of the natural birthstones for those born on vernal equinox and spring, February 19 to March 19. Blue crystals will aid you to have patience and respect.
Lapis is associated with Sagittarius, whose star sign for those who are born from November 21 to December 21.
How to Use It
Lapis Lazuli has been known as jewelry for thousands of years now. It has a durability rating of 5-6 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. It is perfect for pendants and earrings. It is also suitable for rings and bracelets but with protective settings like sterling silver. The softness of this stone has made it ideal for jewelers to carved it into exciting and odd shapes for unique jewelry pieces.
The best way to potentially exhaust its power is by crafting it as a beautiful piece of jewelry.
As Pendants or Necklace
Wearing a Lapis Lazuli necklace can help open your center and release deep-seated anger and pains.
A necklace is also right for the throat and the larynx. It will help you recover faster from sore throat, tonsillitis, or laryngitis.
Like most blue stones, it will stimulate and activate the throat chakra and help you to communicate clearly and benefits with your creativity. As a pendant, it is powerful enough to create depth and clarity in your thoughts and communication.
A Hand of God Pendant is inspired by Michelangelo and works as a beautiful lapis lazuli creation. It pictures part of the Sistine Chapel’s ceiling and.
A Solar System Pendant is made of sterling silver and lapis lazuli that mimics a mini-solar system with sun and two planets. The Lapis Lazuli stone contributes a lot to its charm and beauty. A pendant that suits all science-lover geeky ladies out there.
As an Earring
Wearing a Lapis Lazuli Earring can help alleviate insomnia and dizziness. Use this gemstone as an earring to calm your thoughts and deal with any nightmares you may suffer.
A Lapis Lazuli stone is carefully placed into a brilliantly handcrafted sterling silver stem and a full-blown lotus flower crafted with crystals. The Crystal and Lapis Lotus Earring is stunningly elegant and perfect for an evening night out.
A Lapis Lazuli stone is carefully placed into a brilliantly sterling silver vine. The Lapis Tree Vines Earring is stunningly elegant and perfect for an evening night out.
When talking about love and relationships, Lapis Lazuli brings energies of wisdom, love, and emotional healing to the person who wears it as a ring. The stone is saying, “Love Me!” and as it is said, anyone or anything within your radius will love you. The ring will boost your confidence and courage to go after what your heart desire.
A golden silver flower bud hangs from your fingers with a spherical Lapis stone, handcrafted with perfection as Lapis Bud Ring. Excellent addition to your sterling jewelry collection and acts as a good luck charm for love and relationship.
Lapis Lazuli's energy will lessen your irritability at small things. A Lapis Lazuli bracelet will work on your temper and help you be more patient and more understanding. Giving a Lapis Lazuli bracelet depicts a show of true friendship. It will bring love, loyalty, and devotion to your friendship. It will help you realize that the most significant friendship is those where you can be just open and be yourself.
The Athena’s Bracelet is a charm bracelet that attracts positive energy and good luck and fortune. A sterling silver bracelet adorned with Lapis Lazuli stones is a perfect friendship bracelet for everyone.
In Feng Shui
Collectors and faith workers believed in the healing potential of Lapis Lazuli; that is why they recommend this stone so much. It is best used depends on the person. Some will like to hold it while they are in pain and allow the crystal to absorb some of the hurt.
As Feng Shui experts believe, you have to place the stone in the following direction to attract a particular blessing:
- Southeast – to attract wealth and abundance in your home or office.
- North – to be promoted at work, have a better job offer or any form of career advancement
- East – to address your health concerns
How to Take Care of your Lapis Lazuli
It is easy to maintain the stunning beauty of your lapis lazuli jewelry. Just keep the following reminders in mind, and your lapis lazuli will remain at its grandeur for eternity.
- Wash the lapis lazuli jewel using mild dish soap.
- Do not forget to keep it dry immediately because the stone can easily absorb water.
- Do not store it with other gemstones in a way that they could easily scratch one another.
- Be sure not to use harmful chemicals because it might damage the color and quality of Lapis Lazuli stones.
- Do not expose your lapis lazuli jewelry in a prolonged heat because it may cause permanent damage to it.
How to Spot an Authentic Lapis Lazuli
Since Lapis Lazuli is widespread and does there is a fake Lapis Lazuli that exists. Here are some ways to prove the authenticity of the lapis lazuli.
- Swab Test – using a quick swab with a cotton bud dipped in acetone or nail polish remover. If the swab turns blue, then it is fake.
- Hot Point Examination – this can reveal if they use wax to turn the stone into blue.
- Visual Observation – if the color is too uniform or too bright, this may indicate the stone is fake.
- Plastic fakes will make a dull clink when you tapped it against your teeth and will warm in your hands very quickly.
Lapis Lazuli is one of nature’s most beautiful gifts and a truly divine gift from the gods. Few gemstones have a rich history and remain to keep their standing as a previous gemstone for over a millennium. And Lapis Lazuli is one of them. This stone helps to clear your mental state and keep your emotional balance in check. It is not just a beautiful stone, but it is also a healing stone with healing energies in it. It can heal your body, heart, and mind.
Only by clutching to this stone, it will help you meditate and achieve serenity while finding your inner balance. It will give you a secure connection to wisdom, truth, and integrity.
Are you amazed by Lapis Lazuli stones? Now, are you thinking of buying sterling jewelry with lapis lazuli? Check out our lapis lazuli-sterling silver jewelry collection.